Friday, January 7, 2011

Something New

     Well today was Cheyanne's school conference which I am usually a pro at only this year we did something new. Cheyanne's middle school does what is called a student led conference. The students and teachers put together a packet of her work from last semester, her report card and they have a script telling them how to go over things with the parents. So at 9:30 this morning I went to the school gym and my child walked me through her packet and grades. We discussed her strengths and weaknesses and what she needs to improve on for the next semester. I think I prefer meeting with the actual teacher but I understand that this is difficult when they have 6 different periods and different teachers so it was still a good idea. I was impressed however with how Cheyanne handled it. I think her having to put it all together was a good thing and made her more aware of her responsibilities as a student and helped her see what she needs to work on. All in all her grades were pretty good, she had all A's and B's except for Math which has always been a struggle that was a C. She didn't make her pay point this quarter as her deal was to have nothing lower than a B- in any subject but she seems eager to work on it.
 

No comments: