Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Unfriending

I have always had a love hate relationship with new technology and the Internet and facebook are no exception. On the one hand the Internet and facebook has allowed me to contact and keep in touch with people who at one time in my life meant the world to me but on the other hand its also allowed me to find out just how little you might mean to someone else. I have recently been "unfriended" by one of my facebook friends and to be honest it really hurt. This isn't just someone I went to school with or an acquaintance but was my best friend for almost 20 years. She was the one close girlfriend I had through out my life, the maid of honor at my wedding, the one friend that no matter how long it had been when we got together everything just fell in place again and she didn't even say "goodbye" or anything like that. She just simply stopped sending me Christmas cards, was awkward when I did see her and then just unfriended me like I never meant anything at all.
     I guess its just me, I've never been able to simply cut off someone from my life. If you are my friend I am fiercely loyal to you forever, even if we lose touch for awhile there is always a place in my heart for you. In fact I took this email test today and it fit me like a T, this is me.
" 31 TO 40 POINTS: Others see you as sensible, cautious, careful & practical. They see you as clever, gifted, or talented, but modest. Not a person who makes friends too quickly or easily, but someone who's extremely loyal to friends you do make and who expects the same loyalty in return. Those who really get to know you, realize it takes a lot to shake your trust in your friends, but equally that it takes you a long time to get over if that trust is ever broken."
I know what happened in my head, she divorced my other best friend of 20+ years and is making a new life with someone else and doesn't see me as a part of her new life anymore, but in my heart I don't understand it at all. We talked when the divorce came up (because all three of us had been such good friends for so long) and this shouldn't be an issue. I still talk to her ex all the time but never took sides, never wanted to. Her daughter spends almost every weekend with us and is best friends with my girls but she's just gone. I wish I could be like that, because then I could just cut it off too, cut out that little piece of my heart she took up residence in but I can't and well I don't know what else to say. Not a very good ending to a not very good story but....

No comments: